Sunday, April 22, 2012

Cupcakes

This week marked the 20th anniversary of the English school where I am teaching here in Argentina. To celebrate, there was a big party here yesterday morning complete with clowns, face painting, and cupcakes (200+/-). I started the baking with an initial 150 on Thursday, and my co-workers finished up yesterday morning while I was teaching, as the anticipated attendance numbers continued to increase. Despite the vague oven temperature settings (1 flame vs. 2 flames?) and lack of traditional cookware (i.e. cupcake pans), the 'magdalenas' turned out pretty well, albeit a bit lopsided. :)
Apparently their misshapen figures did not effect taste, as all 200 vanished immediately upon being served to the young masses.











I also painted faces, which was definitely interesting, considering my general lack of artistic ability, but everyone had a lot of fun.

Teaching is going well and I have some very sweet students. I also have Spanish classes twice each week and am continuing to work to improve my communication skills. I hope to be able to travel a little more during my final 2 months here, and look forward to a visit from an American friend next month!

This week, my Monroe grandparents celebrated their 55th wedding anniversary! What an incredible accomplishment - I really wish I had some great old pictures to post, but all exist in America. My brother Zach and his fiancee Rebecca are getting married this year in December, as well as my great friend Stephanie on New Year's Eve! Lots of love and excitement is in the air for 2012, and I am so happy to have such wonderful people in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment