Thursday, February 16, 2012

Buenos Aires - Days 1 & 2

WEDNESDAY
This was the view from my window as the plane was preparing to land in Buenos Aires. Seeing rural Argentina from the air was great (note all of the segmented agricultural areas).

My flight was long (about 10.5 hours), but thankfully uneventful. The plane was very large and luckily I was able to sleep for the majority of the flight and had 2 seats to myself.

Spending time in airports and traveling to and from is DEFINITELY my least favorite part of any adventure. That and schlepping all of my very heavy belongings, packed in anticipation of anything that may occur during the next 6 months. Sheesh! I think I over did it...

Yesterday was a really long day, but went pretty well, all things considered. I know it will take a few days to get acclimated to the cultural differences in scheduling. (everything occurs about 2 hours later here, so subsequently I've been getting hungry about 2 hours before it's "time" to eat) - lunch around 2:00 pm, dinner around 9:30 pm, etc.

Yesterday was also the first day of class, so we were immediately inundated with 2 hours of intense Spanish-only training, followed by another 2.5 of teaching techniques and methodology. There are 7 in my group, and Spanish skill levels are vary. We have class every day from 3:00 pm - 8:30 pm (5:00 pm - 10:30 pm EST), and are scheduled to travel to our assigned communities sometime around 2/27/12. (Details still TBD)

THURSDAY
I was up fairly early this morning, had breakfast, and wrote my first lesson plan for school. Looking forward to exploring Buenos Aires more over the next few days. Definitely in need of some exercise!












I was lucky enough to get to celebrate Valentine's Day on both Monday and Tuesday. :) So fortunate for all of the amazing people in my life!

This morning - listening to: An eclectic mix of Miranda Lambert, Amy Winehouse & a Fun. (seriously, it's been random).

No comments:

Post a Comment